Last month I wrote a post on why you should support small businesses this Christmas and I’m pleased to say that my Christmas shopping is nearly finished and approximately 75% of what I’ve purchased is from small businesses. I don’t think that’s too shabby, especially as most of that remaining 25% is Duplo and Peppa Pig toys!
As Christmas creeps ever closer, there will be a wealth of markets and fayres available for you to purchase some fab unique creations from local sellers and I highly recommend paying them a visit. Last weekend I went along to Outlaw* (for the third time) and was blown away not only by the incredible talent that was on show but by the amount of people who attended – and paid to attend. It just goes to show that people are willing to shop around to find something special rather than stick to the usual high street stores.
If you weren’t able to pop along to Outlaw 2017 over the weekend, or live outside of Cornwall, don’t worry, as the rest of this post contains a look at my favourite sellers, plus links to their online stores.
Mild West Heroes is an awesome t-shirt printing company, specialising in original designs printed on organic products. I’ve got my eye on a few of these for Luke.
Isobel Alice is a designer I’ve seen at many a local fayre and in local studios. Her sea creatures-print textiles just scream “Cornwall”.
If you’re a regular reader of this blog you’ll have noticed that I don’t tend to feature ‘beauty/skincare products’ but I couldn’t help but stop by the stand for Bloom Remedies. The samples were so tempting – everyone needs a hand balm in the winter and their selection smells incredible. All of their products are handmade in Cornwall and are naturally organic. Now that I’m getting older (I know I always was, 30 just feels… meh), I really need to start looking after my skin and their products look great. I’m interested in trying their sleep remedies too.
I didn’t realise until recently that I freaking love contemporary crafts. Products like these from Miss Clementine are just so stinking cute!
It was so good to be able to put faces to names as I walked around, having been a member of the Etsy Cornwall sellers Facebook group for a few months for networking purposes and getting to know makers via their social media channels. Joey Anna has been a favourite since I spotted her work at the Falmouth end of year show last year and I’ve been following her progress on Instagram ever since. Her patterns are lovely and her range of phone cases are a great extension of her work. Plus she has a super-cute selection of Christmas cards.
Seriously, people are so freaking talented. Look at all of these products by Alright My Bird. Hell, the name alone is enough for me to love her but what a range!
I first spotted Esther Connon‘s work at last year’s Cornwall Design Fair and she’s another one I’ve been following on Instagram ever since. Her illustrations are beautiful and I keep meaning to invest in a few.
There were a fair few makers I’d never heard of before and instantly fell for, like Clojo Ruth Designs. I love the animal-centric textiles.
One of my favourites of the day was Tomfoolery – enamel art and jewellery. The polar bears were a particular festive highlight.
Another favourite I hadn’t come across before was Windswept Girlie. The Alice in Wonderland products were the first to grab my attention but I was also impressed by the tea towels/cushions and Christmas cards. So much awesome.
Humble Cottage is another one from the Cornwall Design Fair and they always stand out at a Fayre.
It was such a confidence boost to approach people with my new business cards, only to find that they already follow me. I loved chatting with Sally about the joys of blogging and perusing her gorgeous work. It’s so reminiscent of the Mousehole lights – a proper Cornish Christmas.
Katy Pillinger is quite possibly my favourite creative. Her style is instantly recognisable and I love that I keep seeing her work everywhere at the moment, particularly on the marketing for Outlaw and Etsy Made Local. She was also one of the first people to work with me for National Stationery Week, so she has a special place in my nerdy heart.
A final new-to-me stand was Maria Rosa Design, perfect for anyone looking to decorate a nursery anytime soon! So much cuteness.
And there you have it! A selection of my faves from Outlaw 2017. It was so packed that I wasn’t able to photograph everything that I wanted to but hopefully this will help get you started with your own Christmas shopping.
*I was given free entry to the event in return for blog coverage but all thoughts are my own