I’m on a roll with my magazine subscriptions at the mo – there’s loads of interesting articles which I believe are genuinely relevant to my life right now plus plenty of must-have and (mostly) affordable items. Woooo!
Here are my highlights from this month’s Company:
1. Kate Moross’ Make Your Own Luck is meant to be a Bible for wannabe graphic designers and illustrators. I’m more with the words than with the art but that doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty of interesting and pretty stuff to look at!
2. Jameela Jamil’s column. This is consistently one of my favourite pages in the mag – I love this woman! This month’s column is titled ‘Bye Bye Self-Criticism’. Jameela notes that for Lent everyone is keen to give up a bad habit, so she is giving up her own self-criticism:
“Personally, I’d like to take a bad emotional habit and cut it out of my life for 40 days. I think my addiction to criticism and doubt of myself is in need of a swift kick.”
That’s such a great idea and has inspired me to work on something similar myself, which I’ll share with you next week.
3. Matt Edmondson’s column also hit quite close to home – it’s about everyone’s obsession with beards!
4. I really love the regular ‘Love My Life’ feature. The phrase ‘fuck my life’ is thrown around so often by whiney emo bitches on Facebook (yes, I feel that strongly about it) and it’s great to see someone happy! Plus I find the peek inside their homes and lives really interesting, regardless of their location or career.
5. Ooh, a new regular feature on food! Just what the magazine has been missing. I’m looking forward to Alice and Laura’s new column.
6. Considering this issue is an East London special, something I know very little about and didn’t think would particularly interest me, there has still been plenty for Cornish maids like myself to enjoy. I particularly liked the feature on lesser known fashion brands. I’d already heard of (and love) Illustrated People but have totally fallen for Hannah Beth Fincham‘s unicorn sweater.
7. I don’t know where I’ve been but Miranda July’s book is news to me! I come across some great random book recommendations via Company’s #readitandtweet and No One Belongs Here More Than You is the latest to make it onto my list. I like her quirky films (quirky in a way that used to actually mean something, rather than random hipster shit – man, this post is quite angsty!) .
8. The featured interview with YouTube sensation Zoella (who, I’m sorry, means nothing to me) includes a photo shoot with her wearing some pretty great stuff from Truffle Shuffle…
9. … and Lazy Oaf…
10. … and River Island. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find the super-cute pink polka dot skirt featured in the mag online. Booo.
I’ll be adding the rest of those to my wish list then…